Friday, March 2, 2012

Hafiz to play in qualifiers and as an independent shuttler at All-England

Mohd Hafiz Hashim has competed in many All-England badminton tournaments but it will be a new experience for him this time in more ways than one.
The 29-year-old Hafiz will be playing as an independent player for the first time at Birmingham when the qualifying tournament starts on Tuesday. It is also the first time that the 2003 All-England champion will be featuring in the qualifying round of the world’s oldest Open tournament.
Hafiz went independent last March and, so far, his one-year journey has been quite rewarding. He hopes the good fortune will continue with a good showing in the All-England – the tournament that launched him to prominence nine years ago.
In the past, he had enjoyed the best of two worlds – being a Nusa Mahsuri player as well as a member of the elite group in the national centre.
Regular visitor: Mohd Hafiz Hashim has played in every All-England championships since 2003 except for last year.
“I have played in every All-England since 2003 except for last year when I was just starting my professional career and didn’t get to compete,” said Hafiz, the world No. 32.
“It’s wonderful making a return to this tournament which is quite special to me.
“A year ago, I didn’t think I could still represent the country as an independent player. Now, I’m still very much wanted. It feels good to be needed,” he said.
Despite standing on his own feet since joining KLRC last March, Hafiz has been one of the top picks for Malaysia in major events. Just two weeks ago, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) selected him for the Thomas Cup qualifying tournament in Macau.
As the highest ranked Malaysian player after world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz is a certainty for the Finals in Wuhan in May. He has also been named to represent the country in the Axiata Cup, a lucrative team competition that offers US$1mil in prize money, later this month.
Hafiz agreed that his main drawback has been his lack of fitness but he is determined to toughen up as his career, which once seemed over, has been given a fresh injection of life.
“I joined the BAM training a few days ago and have people looking into my physical condition. I am also spending more time in the gymnasium. I know that I can play more confidently if I am fitter,” he said.
On his challenge in the All-England, Hafiz said the immediate task was to clear the qualifying round.
“My ranking has dropped so I naturally have to start in the qualifiers. It is awkward but I am determined to show some improvement,” he said.
Hafiz will face Chan Yan Kit of Hong Kong in the opening round. If he wins, next up will be the winner of the match between Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Thailand’s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk.
A tricky first round match against South Korean Lee Hyun-il awaits if he makes it to the main draw.
The other Malaysian who will have to go through the qualifiers is Liew Daren.
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment