Sunday, October 16, 2011

National GP Finals: Perfect 10 without much sweat

Lee Chong Wei  hardly raised sweat in winning.
Lee Chong Wei hardly raised sweat in winning.
THE perfect 10 was achieved and Lee Chong Wei said farewell to the local circuit after another overwhelming victory in the National Grand Prix Finals at Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.
Chong Wei, who first won the title as a 20-year-old in 2003, hardly raised a sweat beating newcomer Goh Soon Huat 21-11, 21-5 in just 29 minutes.

Chong Wei had earlier announced that it will be his last appearance on the local circuit and stressed again that it will not only help him focus on his target to win gold in the London Olympics but also give the younger players a chance on the National GP Finals next year.
The fact that local events had often disrupted his preparations for international events is the main reason why Chong Wei doesn't want to take any chances next year in the hope that London will provide him with a final chance of nailing an Olympic gold.
Chong Wei will be competing in the Denmark Open, beginning on Tuesday, and the French Open in Paris which begins on Oct 23.

"I have always put emphasis on the local circuit and now that I have won 10 straight titles, I want to focus on the international scene and my preparations for the London Olympics next year," said Chong Wei.
"Not that I can win international honours by skipping tournaments but I don't want my preparations to be disrupted. It always creates a doubt when I am unable to go through my training fully and I don't want to take any chances next year with the Olympics being the priority."

He added: "My target in the Denmark Open and French Open is to gain sufficient Olympic ranking points so that I can maintain my No 1 position going into the Olympics."

Soon Huat said there is no chance of him beating Chong Wei but felt it was a good experience playing the latter in his first final on the national circuit.
"I couldn't cope with the pace but it was a good experience. He will not be around next year and I want to take advantage and it will give my better chance of winning the title."

The tournament saw new champions crowned in the other four events.

Lydia Cheah, beaten finalist on four previous occasions, ended her jinx when she beat Tee Jing Yi 21-14, 21-17 to secure the women's singles crown.

Mixed doubles Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying were third time lucky when they defeated Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei 21-15, 21-14.

Fairuzizuan Tazari-Ong Soon Hock, playing in their last tournament together, clinched the men's doubles crown when they edged Vountus Indra Mawan-Lutfi Zaim Khalid 19-21, 21-15, 21-19.

Women's doubles Vivian Hoo and Khe Wei also clinched the title for the first time as a pair when they beat Chin Eei Hui-Goh Liu Ying 17-21, 21-15, 21-15. Khe Wei won the title with Marylen Ng last year.
Courtesy of New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment