Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chong Wei to review retirement decision



Lee Chong Wei
Lee Chong Wei
LEE Chong Wei is having second thoughts about retiring after the 2012 London Olympics as he wants to play in the 2013 World Championships, provided he is still the World No 1 and free of injuries.
Chong Wei said yesterday that next month's World Championships in London may not be the last when commenting on his chances of winning his first major crown.

This may be interpreted as his way of avoiding pressure leading up to the Aug 8-14 event but Chong Wei feels there is no reason to quit if he remains the best player in the business two years from now.
"The London World Championships is important as I am aiming to win it but it may not be the last for me. My form and condition permitting, I may still play in 2013," said Chong Wei.
"Yes, I did mention several times that I would like to retire after next year's Olympics because my target is to win gold and it is the biggest event. But if I can stay as the World No 1 and there are no injuries, then why not? I can probably continue until the 2014 Asian Games.
"During the post-Olympic period, I will focus on the big events that I haven't won like the Asian Games and a few others."

However, this does not mean Chong Wei has already thrown in the towel ahead of the World Championships.

"I suspected from the beginning, that I will be playing at least two China players from the quarter-finals.
"And I've got the stronger two in Chen Long (in the last eight) and Chen Jin (in the semis),"said Chong Wei.

"I also have some good players in early matches, so I will take it one match at a time. I don't want to approach it as if it's the last outing.

"The training at the University of Bath is important as we can acclimatise to local conditions and adjust to the time change. This is crucial in getting ready for the event."

Chong Wei and his teammates left for the University of Bath in England last night. They will train there until Aug 4 and then shift their base to London later the same day.
Courtesy of New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment