Sunday, October 21, 2012

Denmark Open: Chong Wei aims to win Denmark Open title on his 30th birthday

<B>Uninspiring match:</B> Lee Chong Wei took 31 minutes to take down Liew Daren to win in the quarter-finals. — AFPUninspiring match: Lee Chong Wei took 31 minutes to take down Liew Daren to win in the quarter-finals. — AFP
World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei will celebrate his 30th birthday tomorrow and he’s got his eyes set on a perfect gift – the Denmark Open title.
Yesterday, he held back his punches but was still good enough to beat compatriot Liew Daren 21-16, 21-16 in an uninspiring 31-minute match.
The top seeded Chong Wei will take on the winner of the match between Wong Wing Ki of Hong Kong and Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark in today’s semi-finals.
Chong Wei admitted that he was hardly challenged throughout the match, saying he was just having fun against Daren.
“I enjoyed myself. I know Daren’s game too well and it was not too difficult to beat him. It is, however, good to note that Daren’s game has evolved. He plays with better strategy now,” said Chong Wei, who won the Denmark Open title in 2005.
But the two-time Olympic Games silver medallist is still hungry to add one more title to his collection.
“Usually, my birthday falls during the Denmark Open but, for the first time, it will be on the same day as the final. I hope to go all the way to the title – that will indeed be a special present for me,” he said.
Daren was clearly disappointed with his defeat.
“I just couldn’t get past his solid defence and my attack was toothless against him. After a while, I was frustrated and worn out and could not push myself,” said Daren.
“I still have some catching up to do. I’ll be heading for the French Open next and may meet Chou Tien Chen of Taiwan. I lost to him before and my goal is to beat him.”
It was the end of road for Apacs-sponsored Tan Chun Seang. After a superb start, the 26-year-old Chun Seang ran out of gas and went down 19-21, 8-21 to China’s Du Pengyu.
In the men’s doubles, Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen gave the home fans plenty to cheer about when they beat South Korea’s Kim Ki-jung-Kim Sa-rang 24-22, 22-20.
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment