Thursday, November 1, 2012

Daren's top-15 target

LIEW Daren, having reached the top 20 target ahead of time, wants to break into world's top 15 by doing well in the China Open (Nov 13-18) and Hong Kong Open (Nov 20-25).
Daren is looking forward to a semi-final berth in the China Open, a premier super series event, where he needs to beat second seed Chen Jin of China while a quarter-final berth in Hong Kong will enable him to achieve his objective.
The absence of China's Olympic champion Lin Dan and compatriot Lee Chong Wei should give Daren a slight edge and he aims to capitalise on the easy draw in Shanghai.
Daren did just that when he won his first international crown by claiming the French Open on Sunday where Chong Wei and China's top shuttlers skipped the super series event in Paris.
In China, the 25-year-old will meet Ajay Jayram of India in the first round and is likely to play Jan Jorgensen of Denmark next before coming up against Chen Jin in the quarter-finals.
The Hong Kong Open draw is yet to be released but the competition will be tougher with Chong Wei making a return after his three-week break from international events due to his wedding to former international Wong Mew Choo on Nov 9-10.
"I have never reached the semi-final of a premier super series event after having made the last eight in the All England and Denmark Open so I am aiming for the breakthrough in the China Open. But my main aim is to break into the top 15 by doing well in China and Hong Kong," said Daren.
"These are my last events for the year and I want to continue with my momentum. I am confident of making the last eight in China and will give my best shot against Chen Jin to progress. I lost to him in our only meeting in the Swiss Open in March but I am aiming for a better performance this time.
"Another quarter-final appearance in the Hong Kong Open should help me reach the top 15 and I don't think I can ask for anything more at the moment.
"I will focus on my preparations to make another solid start next year and continue my search for more international honours."
Daren's victory in France should help him improve his current world ranking of 24 to 17th when the weekly list is released by Badminton World Federation (BWF) today.
Meanwhile, Chong Wei Feng can also look forward to a good outing in the China Open if he can overcome Sho Sasaki of Japan in the first round. A win over the sixth seed will likely pit Wei Feng against Hsu Jen Hao of Taiwan and a quarter-final clash against third seed Simon Santoso of Indonesia.
Wei Feng, ranked World No 25, failed to make inroads in Europe but can close in a top 20 position if he can overcome the odds in China.
Courtesy of New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment