Monday, December 17, 2012

Chong Wei and Pandelela named Olympians of the Year

<B>Malaysia’s best:</B> Lee Chong Wei (left) and Pandelela Rinong were named men’s and women’s Olympians of the Year last night. — SHAARI CHEMAT / The StarMalaysia’s best: Lee Chong Wei (left) and Pandelela Rinong were named men’s and women’s Olympians of the Year last night. — SHAARI CHEMAT / The Star
No one batted an eyelid when world No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei and diving diva Pandelela Rinong were named as the men’s and women’s Olympians of the Year for their superb medal winning efforts at the London Games in August.
Bouyed by the due recognition yesterday which came with RM10,000 in cash prize, Chong Wei and Pandelela have vowed to strive harder next year.
Chong Wei received the award from the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah for winning a silver medal while Pandelela was honoured for her bronze medal effort in a glittering ceremony at the J.W. Marriot Hotel.
Chong Wei, whose challenge in the ongoing BWF World Super Series Finals in Shenzhen ended prematurely due to lethargy and thigh injury, was beaming with pride.
“This is my second Olympian of the Year award (after 2008) ... I’m so honoured,” said Chong Wei, who arrived home from China on Thursday.
It was his second major award this year, having nicked the NSC’s 2011 Sportsman of the Award in March.
“If I can maintain my physical condition for the next four years, I’ll attempt to go for my third Olympian of the Year award,” he quipped before quickly acknolwedging that “it will be super tough, though”.
The 30-year-old, who went down fighting to China’s Lin Dan in the final of an epic men’s singles final in the Olympics in August, said his main target next year was to become the first Malaysian to win the World Championships in Guangzhou.
“My thigh injury is not serious. I’ll cut down on some tournaments in the next few months and peak at the world meet,” he said.
“Receiving this Olympian of the Year award caps a great year for me. Except for the Super Series Finals, I’ve reached the finals of the last nine individual tournaments. That’s a first for me.”
For the 19-year-old Pandelela, the award was a meaningful one.
“It’s my first Olympian of the Year award and I am so thankful. It has been a glorious year for me, especially my Olympic bronze medal effort,” said Pandelela, who finished third in the 10m springboard event.
Following her achievement in becoming the first Malaysian woman – and the first sport other than badminton – to win an Olympic medal, Pandelela has been showered with so many rewards and incentives. She has also been busy giving talks to inspire others.
“My feet are still planted firmly on the ground. I am thankful for all the rewards, incentives and recognition. I do not see them as distractions but more as a motivation to excel to greater heights,” she said.
“Next year, I am eyeing podium finishes in three main world events – the Fina World Series, World Championships and World University Games. I’ve won bronze medals in these meets but the challenge will be to maintain top-three finishes on a regular basis ... that’s something I’ll try to achieve.”
Meanwhile several former athletes, including R. Selvamuthu (taekwondo), Ng Shu Wai (artistic gymnastics) and R. Puvaneswaran (karate), were inducted into the Hall of Fame for their contributions to their respective sports.
OCM president Tunku Tan Sri Imran Tuanku Ja’afar also paid tribute to the late Tan Sri Hamzah Abu Samah, the former OCM president, for his valuable contributions to sports development in general.
He also announced the naming of the OCM Indoor Sports Arena as the Tan Sri Hamzah Sports Arena.
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment