Friday, December 14, 2012

World Superseries Finals: Graceful Ratchanok wins over crowd with humble ways

TEENAGER Ratchanok Intanon has certainly come a long way from her humble background in north-east Thailand. The 17-year-old is assured of a big pay cheque after earning a place in the last four of the World Super Series Finals in Shenzhen this weekend.
Ratchanok won over the Chinese crowd with her humble ways as she gracefully clasped her hands together in the traditional form of greeting, often referred to as wai, and bowed to all four corners after beating world No. 3 Saina Nehwal of India in straight games in a Group B match.
Ratchanok chalked up a 21-13, 21-16 win over Saina for her second straight victory over a higher ranked player.
Ratchanok, whose parents were migrant labourers from the Yasothorn province, had opened accounts on a fierce note by beating London Olympic bronze medallist Juliane Schenk of Germany 21-17, 22-20 on Wednesday.
The Thai, who was a delight to watch with her accurate placings and good net play, was happy with her strong run in what is her first appearance in the Super Series Finals.
“I just realised that I’m the first to have checked into the women’s singles semi-finals. I’ve lost many times to Saina, so I am happy to beat her in straight games.
“I do not have high expectations here as the top eight players in this field are equally strong. But now that I’m in the semi-finals, I’ll try to take it a step further,” said Ratchanok, a three-time world junior champion.
Ratchanok will complete her Group B fixtures against Tine Baun of Denmark. Saina is out of contention as her defeat by Ratchanok was the second in as many days.
Saina, a former world junior champion, was beaten 14-21, 21-11, 19-21 by Baun on Wednesday.
Asked how she took a liking for the sport, Ratchanok said her parents used to work at a badminton centre in Bangkok when she was younger.
“There was a badminton school and I was about five when I learnt to run. The owner was worried about my safety as there was hot water all around.
“I took up badminton and became good at it. Later, I wanted to become a national player like my older friends and play for the country as I felt that it was the best way to help my parents,” said the filial daughter, who has given away her prize money to help her father open a food stall.
Ratchanok became the most successful player ever at the World Junior Championships, winning her third straight singles title in Taiwan last year.
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment