Monday, December 17, 2012

Withdrawal a blessing for Chong Wei


.
Lee Chong Wei withdrew from the Super Series finals due to injury and exhaustion.

AS far as Lee Chong Wei is concerned, his withdrawal from the Super Series Finals in China last week due to injury and exhaustion is a blessing in disguise.

And the World No 1 wants to come back with a bang by successfully defending the Korea and Malaysia Open titles next month.
Chong Wei, lacking preparation, had suffered a thigh strain just before the Super Series Finals, which ended in Shenzhen, China, yesterday.
The Malaysian was reluctant to compete in the event and suffered a rare defeat to Du Pengyu of China on Wednesday.
Chong Wei will start his preparation next week in a bid to win his third Korea Open (Jan 8-13) crown and a record ninth Malaysia Open (Jan 15-20) title to overtake legend Wong Peng Soon's mark.
There is also good news for Chong Wei as his nemesis, Lin Dan, will not make a return to the international stage in January and only Chen Long and Chen Jin will be in his way in the Korea Open.
The Malaysia Open will be even easier as none of the top China shuttlers will compete in the event with Kenichi Tago of Japan the second seed for the tournament.
"I was exhausted after a long season and had suffered a thigh strain. Withdrawing from the Super Series Finals had given me some rest ahead of the Korea and Malaysia Open where I want to defend my titles," said Chong Wei.
"I have about four weeks and I want to improve my physical condition and start winning titles again.
"I will also not compete in the National Grand Prix Finals (on Dec 27-30) in Alor Star as I want to focus on training for next year's events.
"Lin Dan is fortunate to get a long break and although he won't play in the first two tournaments, I expect him to return later and I still see him playing in the World Championships in Guangzhou in August.
"My target is also the World Championships and I know Lin Dan will be around and it will be a big challenge."
Chong Wei's absence paved the way for Chen Long to win his first Super Series title yesterday, which he duly did by defeating Pengyu 21-12, 21-13.
Men's doubles Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen of Denmark successfully defended their crown by beating Japan's Hiroyuki Endo-Kenichi Hayakawa 21-17, 21-19.


No comments:

Post a Comment