Sunday, February 24, 2013

All England: World No 1 taking China threats seriously

LEE Chong Wei is primed to win his third All England crown but the World No 1 said he will not take it for granted despite the absence of nemesis Lin Dan.
Tuesday's draw saw rising China duo Chen Long and Du Pengyu in Chong Wei's path and the top seed said he would have to be on top of his game in Birmingham on March 5-10.
Chong Wei has engaged in several battles with Chen Long and Pengyu since the London Olympics last year and he doesn't want to take them for granted.
Besides Lin Dan, Chen Long is the only player to have enjoyed regular success over Chong Wei in the last three years -- winning five of their 12 meetings while Pengyu has a solitary win in eight matches.
Chong Wei is expected to meet Pengyu, the third seed, in the last four before an expected final showdown with Chen Long in the final.
"Lin Dan is not around but China still have two young players who have been playing well.
"If I can include my possible second round opponent (Wang Zhengming), that will be three China players and I have to go through a lone battle," said Chong Wei.
"Since I am the World No 1, everyone has been aiming to beat me and all I can do is be prepared to give my best in the All England.
"Battling alone against the rest makes it tough sometimes but as long as I have the desire to win, I should be okay.
"Although I had a good start this year by winning the Korea and Malaysia Opens, I have to stay focused all the time and cannot underestimate my opponents although I have been playing with almost the same players for years now.
"The World Championships and the All England are my priorities this year and I hope I can maintain my form and go on to win both titles."
Chong Wei's hat-trick bid last year was halted by a shoulder injury midway through the second game in the final against Lin Dan but the five-time champion has been missing from competition since winning the Olympic gold in London.
Chong Wei begins his campaign against Wong Wing Ki of Hong Kong and should play Zhengming in the second round and can then expect another easy encounter against Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam in the last eight.
It will be hard for Pengyu to recover from the thrashing he received in the final of the Korea Open and Chong Wei will have the upper hand should they clash again in last four.
Chen Long's mental strength is suspect, especially when the stakes are high and no matter how cautious Chong Wei is, the All England is for him to lose.
Courtesy of New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment