Monday, February 18, 2013

Daren wants better results

LIEW Daren, who has virtually qualified for the World Championships, is aiming to better his results in the All England and Swiss Open next month in order to break into the top eight. A top eight seeding should give Daren a favourable draw for the World Championships in August which means he will avoid heavyweights like World No 1 Lee Chong Wei, No 2 Chen Long and No 3 Du Pengyu, both from China, in the preliminary rounds in Guangzhou.
Daren, who reached the quarter-finals of the All England as a qualifier last year and also made the last eight of the Swiss Open, feels it will be tougher this time.
"I was almost an unknown last year. I had no pressure as I reached the last eight despite playing in the qualifying rounds but I am not a stranger anymore on the international scene," said Daren.
"However, the All England will be a crucial event for me as I must try to equal or better the results from last year and do the same in the Swiss Open.
"If I can do well, I have a good chance of improving my world ranking and hopefully make it into the top eight. This will help me get a seeding in the World Championships.
"If I am one of the top eight seeds, I don't have to worry about Chong Wei or the shuttlers from China in the preliminary rounds and this will increase my chances of reaching at least the last eight. "The All England will also be difficult because as a World No 12, I will not be seeded, so there is the possibility of meeting one of the top four players which means I must be well prepared.
"If I can achieve my target in the All England, my place in the Sudirman Cup will be secured as only two men's singles players will be named in the squad."
Chong Wei Feng is the other player who is in the running for a place in the World Championships and the Sudirman Cup but he needs to improve his current ranking of World No 17 by producing better results than Daren.
Wei Feng, who lost to Lin Dan of China in the third round last year, will also be aiming for a breakthrough in the All England.
The seedings for the All England will be released today where Chong Wei, men's doubles Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and mixed doubles Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying are expected to be the only Malaysians seeded
Courtesy of New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment