Sunday, September 2, 2012

Kwong Beng wants to revive his fortunes under Hendrawan

Singles back-up shuttler Chan Kwong Beng is banking on a change of coach to give his career a new lease of life.
The 24-year-old is ready to part ways with national chief coach Rashid Sidek because he strongly believes that he can revive his fortunes under former world champion Hendrawan of Indonesia.
If I still do not excel under Hendrawan, it is a clear sign for me to end my career. - CHAN KWONG BENGIf I still do not excel under Hendrawan, it is a clear sign for me to end my career. - CHAN KWONG BENG
Kwong Beng has been training under Rashid since 2010 when his previous coach, Misbun Sidek, left the national team.
Kwong Beng is hoping that the coaching and training committee, who will meet on Sept 8, will agree to his request. He claims that he has spoken to Rashid and Hendrawan and that both coaches have agreed to the swap.
It is learnt that Mohd Arif Abdul Latif may go the other way – leaving Hendrawan to train under Rashid.
Kwong Beng showed that he is still an asset to the national team when he was selected to accompany world No. 2 Lee Chong Wei as sparring partner for the London Olympic Games last month.
However, Kwong Beng has not achieved any remarkable results over the last two years.
The player, once touted as a star in the making for his explosive movements and good attacking play, is desperate for another chance to come good.
“I need a change. I have not achieved any significant results under Rashid. It has all been a big blur for me ... and my fitness has been a big letdown. I just need a change, one last shot to turn my game around,” said Kwong Beng.
“I have nothing against Rashid but his style does not suit me. I need a coach who is more aggressive. I want to train under Hendrawan. I have seen how he pushes his players in training. I want to improve my fitness level under him. “My style of play needs to be supported with good fitness but I am not as fast as I want to be on court. Something is lacking and I know most of it is my own shortcoming.”
Kwong Beng is also aware of the risk he is taking in asking for a change.
“I am actually taking a big gamble here by making this request. If I still do not excel under Hendrawan, it is a clear sign for me to end my career,” said Kwong Beng.
“Over the last few years, I have spent time sparring with Chong Wei and learning so much from him. Now, it is time for me to do something for myself ... for my badminton career. I need to take such a drastic action. This is my last chance to do something if I want to be a genuine medal contender at the next Olympic Games.”
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment