Saturday, September 8, 2012

Nadzmi clarifies that all decisions were made collectively

Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh will end his 10-year tenure as president of the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) next year knowing that no one has influenced or controlled him during that time.
Nadzmi said that all decisions – either at the coaching and training committee or the council – were made collectively.
Nadzmi, who is a well-respected corporate figure, admitted yesterday that being the president of BAM “is a thankless job”.
“When issues crop up, we discuss and the committee make a decision. No one whispers into my ears. Everyone is given a chance to voice his opinion. I am not controlled by others,” said Nadzmi.
Nadzmi: ‘No one whispers into my ears.’Nadzmi: ‘No one whispers into my ears.’
“We have put into place a system and we follow the right processes in decision-making. Under my leadership, there has not been any internal chaos.
“I have served the association with the best interest. I have devoted my time and money but truly it is a thankless job.
“We get bashed when things go wrong ... but no one thanks us when we do well. People do not know the whole picture.”
On Wednesday, former national coach Rexy Mainaky of Indonesia claimed that Nadzmi was influenced by a select group of people in the BAM.
Several other coaches have also voiced their opinions over the last few days on ways to improve the running of BAM, hoping that it will be taken into consideration during the BAM’s coaching and training committee meeting tomorrow.
The meeting, to be chaired by BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai, will re-look the direction Malaysian badminton should take after the London Games.
“I can’t help but feel I am in a scene from David and Goliath. No matter what we do, the management is always seen in a bad light. This is not fair. Everyone is hitting us with slingshots,” said Nadzmi.
Nadzmi, however, said that he understood why many are concerned about badminton.
“It is all about their emotion. They want the best ... I understand. Do you know how I make money in business? I listen to others and I do not do everything myself. I am a strategist. But I do not listen to one opinion only,” he said.
“When I took over as BAM president, we were RM3mil in debt. Now, we have sponsors wanting to be associated with us.
“We have potential players but it takes time to mould them.
“I can give the best education to my child, send him to the best school, shower him with all the best facilities but what if he does not want to become somebody. BAM can only do so much.”
Nadzmi hopes that his successor will be able to manage the team well.
“I wanted to leave four years ago but was coaxed out of it by the council members.
“This time, I will make sure that there is a proper handover. I am fair and I do not hide behind my failures.
“I just hope the next president will not re-invent the wheel and the council will choose the right man to empower the team.”
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment