Thursday, January 10, 2013

Shuttler Ramdan cites personal reason for leaving national set-up

Blood is definitely thicker than water.
This adage was proven right when reigning national men’s singles champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun quit the national team yesterday to “rejoin” his father – Datuk Misbun Sidek – under the banner of professional club Nusa Mahsuri.
Ramdan’s shocking action is reminiscent of his father’s own actions two years ago.
Then, just as Malaysia was ushering in the New Year, Misbun dropped a bombshell by walking out of the national team – resigning as the national coach.
Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary Ng Chin Chai confirmed yesterday that Ramdan, who will turn 22 on March 16, had handed in his resignation letter citing personal reasons.
Ramdan, however, had the courtesy to meet his coach Hendrawan on Tuesday to personally thank him for guiding him over the last two years.
After all, Hendrawan had played a big part in helping Ramdan achieve several breakthroughs. Ramdan won his first local title, the Pahang Open, last year and defeated two more experienced players in Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng en route to becoming the national champion for the first time.
“He texted me, asking whether I could meet up with him as he had something important to tell me,” said Hendrawan.
“My suspicion were proven right when he told me that he was leaving. I asked him if he had any problems with me, the BAM’s programme or anything else ... but he said no.
“He said it was time to go. I am glad that we ended it well. He thanked me for all that we’ve gone through together over the last two years. I appreciate his humility.
“Ramdan is one of the talented ones in the group and has the potential to be a world class player. I wish him all the best. I told him that the door is always open if he wants to come back.”
Meanwhile, Chin Chai said that he would bring up Ramdan’s resignation at BAM’s exco meeting on Jan 15. Chin Chai, however, said that they would not stop Ramdan from playing in the Malaysian Open from Jan 16-20 as BAM had already registered his name.
“His resignation came as a surprise to us. I received a letter stating that he was quitting due to personal reasons,” said Chin Chai.
In June 2011, BAM banned back-up shuttler Tan Chun Seang for two years when he left the national team to turn professional. He was not allowed to compete in any international tournaments in the Asian region. The ban was lifted during the BAM’s coaching and training committee meeting in Alor Setar last month.
Will Ramdan be similarly punished?
Chin Chai said: “It’s not for me to decide. Ramdan has left in a good way. Anyway, we’ll notify the exco of his decision.”
Courtesy of The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment