Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sony keeps fighting

SONY Dwi Kuncoro is a fighter on and off the court. On the brink of retirement due to career-threatening injuries a few years ago, the 29-year-old Indonesian shuttler has staged a miraculous comeback and returned to his best.

Sony, a former World Championships silver medallist, was among the game's elite before injuries to his back and ankle affected his career. He dropped more than 100 places to World No 117 in August, 2011.
But Sony, a bronze medallist at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, managed to recover before making successful return last year.
Now, he is not only better than before but has also achieved one of his career best rankings of World No 5 recently.
"It was a difficult moment then but I was determined to return as I had unfinished business. It is everyone's dream to become the world's best and I've not given up hope on that," said Sony at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
"My immediate target is to progress accordingly and qualify for the 2016 Olympics. I want to win another Olympic medal before I retire.
"I will be 33 in four years but age is only a number. It does not mean I can't achieve this dream."
Sony is currently the only Indonesian capable of winning titles on the Super Series tour. Former Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat is unfit and plans to retire after the Indonesian Open in June while Simon Santoso has not played since last year's French Open due to a throat infection.
The Surabaya-born trains diligently under former world champion Joko Suprianto, who has accepted an offer to coach the Indonesian team recently, for the past few weeks.
"I was under Joko when I won a bronze at the Athens Olympics before he left in 2005. He is a disciplinarian and I am confident he will help me with my game," he said.
Sony continued his form from last season's wins in the Indonesia Open GP and the Thailand Open, by reaching the semi-finals of last week's Korea Open.
"I am getting the results but of course, I need to improve several aspects of my game. I need to work on my fitness and court movements."
Sony Dwi Kuncoro wants to win another Olympic medal before  retiring.
Sony Dwi Kuncoro wants to win another Olympic medal before retiring.
 New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment